Wednesday, March 2, 2011

International Dinner


 In my Economy of the European Union class, I learned that Americans live outside their means while Europeans are more conscious of their money. I can definitely see that difference as my friends and I normally do not hang out in retaurants or movie theatres. Many times, we are invited to someone's house and they cook dinner or we have a potluck.


In Miami I am used to eating out at least once a week, whether at a restaurant or just to pick up a quick bite to eat. However, in Europe only a few buy a full lunch. Normally food is warmed in the microwaves in the center of the cafeteria and maybe a crossaint or bocadillo (sandwhich) is bought to supplement the lunch that they brought.


Because of all the dinners we are having at different friend's houses, one of my friends decided to host an International Dinner where we all were to bring food from the country that we represent. Present at the party were Germans, Russians, Lithuanians, French, Indian (me), Sweden, Austria and USA.

We had amazing sushi as well as many other dishes that I cannot pronounce let alone spell and curry. It was an AMAZING and cheap way to taste dishes from different countries, spend time with your friends and talk. The dinner really bonded my friends and I as we sampled not only the dishes but also learning about the culture of each our heritages.


As a well-known food writer comments, “Food is a central activity of mankind and one of the single most significant trademarks of a culture.”

No comments:

Post a Comment