Monday, March 28, 2011
Alemania
Alemanes, or Germans, are everywhere here in Alicante. I have no idea why there are so many of them but I always feel like when I ask someone where they are from they reply Alemania. In a way, I feel blessed because the language that both parties know best is English and it makes it easier to communicate with them. On the other hand, hanging out with a group of Germans (which I always feel like I am doing) can be difficult especially when they start rambling off in rapid German.
To accommodate with the majority I decided to learn a few words. Most of them I use when annoyed as a playful jibe to my friends but some are actually pretty useful, such as:
Hallo= Hello
Wie giehts= How are you?
Dunka, good = Thanks, good
Ich wohne in Alicante = I am living in Alicante
Ich heisse Pallavi = My name is Pallavi
Ich bin zwanzig jahre alt = I am 20 years old
Alta/Alte= Dude (first one for a male, the second for a female)
Eine = one
Zwei = two
Drei = three
Houssen = town
Ich hasse dich = I hate you
Ich liebe dich = I love you
I love learning different languages, but despite what Germans say, their language is nowhere close to English. I am still completely lost when they rattle off in their native tongue, even when they say words that I have learned already.
The great thing about having a lot of German friends is that you get the chance to learn about their culture. I am in Spain so I obviously am getting used to the Spanish culture but this way I can also learn about the Northern countries as well.
For instance, one thing about Germans I have noticed is that they are always on time. My really good friend, Stephie, is always the first one to arrive when we set up a time to meet. She is never late and always ends up waiting on us, that poor girl. The only one time that she didn't come before me was a shock and we made fun of her for it .
Another thing, Germans are very direct. They like to cut to the chase and they do not entertain nonsensical beating around the bush crap. Although many Americans feel that they are direct and forward, let me assure you, not in the way that Germans are. Americans are direct and straight to the point about serious, business matters but in friendships they aren't that much. For example, when my friend sat on gum which ruined her pants, a German friend told her the bitingly honest truth while I told her it didn't look too bad. My German friend was not trying to be mean or hurtful yet her straightforward answer can take you for surprise if your not used to it.
Also, they are very organizationally motivated. What I mean is that when planning a trip, for example, they would like to know exactly when and where. When they choose to travel they do not enjoy wandering around aimlessly but rather having a game plan of what they will do and see next. I noticed this on my trip to Valencia. The group I was with was a mix of all nationalities and the Germans were a little rattled by the lack of planning and direction of the group. We ended up wandering around a lot and had many intermittent breaks. It was a source of annoyance for them.
The sad thing that I've noticed about a lot of Germans is their lack of patriotism. I do not say this in a condescending way but rather I feel bad that they cannot and do not feel proud to be of their heritage. To many of us WWII is a thing of the past. Its history that doesn't seem real to us. To a lot of Germans it is a burden on their culture, a blemish, that they cannot seem to erase.
One German friend told me that during a cultural festival in Germany he had asked his mother if he could put up the German flag. His mother responded rebukingly "No, why would we do that? So that we can be Nazis?" The flag is a symbol of the country and beauty of the culture. Every country has things in the past they are regrettable yet Germany still atones for its mistake. Its something I feel sad about because I am patriotic for my country and proud to be American. And even Americans have a great deal of bad history. We have had decades of slavery and also had the Japanese internment camps during WWII. I do not think Germany should still be punished for things of the past because every country has its own share of wrongdoings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment